Friday, February 3, 2012

Batey Zipline

 We took the "Batey Zipline Tour" which was located in Utuado, about an hour and a half away from our home. It included a visit to a cave , rappelling a 70 foot cliff (which I opted out of), six different ziplines (three of them over the Tanamá Rivera) and a long walk through interpretative paths for approximately 45 minutes. It took about 4 1/2 hours for our group of eight people to complete. This is a picture of me and Ryan about to walk over this extremely wobbly bridge after a 45 minute hike into the forest. The bottom part of the bridge looked like chicken wire held up by thin rope, but our tour guides promised me it was very strong and safe. Only 2 people at a time could walk on the bridge. I'm smiling in this picture, but I cried and scream the whole time I was on it!!!
After a few ziplines and more hiking we were up in the mountains. It was so beautiful! The higher we got the cooler the temperature. Behind us is the drop off for the rappel portion of the tour. I gave it one look and said "hell no" and they showed us a path we could walk down and meet them at the bottom. Ryan insisted that he didn't want to do it either, but I know he really did (what a good husband).
This is the second strongest bamboo in the world. This is our tour guide in the corner of the picture telling us all about it. It grows 18 inches a day and gets about 100 feet tall. The roots grow out as far as the bamboo is tall. It also has huge thorns that you can see in this picture.
Ryan and I are about to hop in the boat and head into the cave!
This is a limestone cave that is about 2,000 feet long and cuts through a mountains.
Heading in!! I got a little nervous at this point.
They gave us head lights to put on our helmets. It was pitch black inside and we could hear bats squeaking all around us. They gave us strict instructions not to squeal and scream because it would irritate the bats.
Coming out of the cave.
Finally making it out of the cave! We had so much fun and I was proud of myself for not being a big baby. We will definitely be doing more ziplines in Puerto Rico before we leave!

1 comment:


  1. This looks like SO MUCH FUN! What a great day :)

    Kanab Zipline

    ReplyDelete